PatriciaRN
PatriciaRN, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of nursing experience, 2 in ER, 1 at Planned Parenthood clinic
7594761

What are the causes for blood in mouth and throat?

What would cause blood to drain into my mouth or throat for no apparent reason. Mostly in the morning, but not everyday. Sometimes once a week, sometimes twice. This has been going on for 3 months and ENT has found nothing. Sometimes I just taste blood with no showing.

Category: Health
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 6 years ago.

PatriciaRN :

Hello, if your ENT could not find anything in the sinuses or thereabouts, you may want to see a dentist to see if perhaps you have some gum disease. The gums can bleed around the back teeth without you being aware of it.

Also, if you do not see the blood, but are only tasting it, that metallic taste could be from GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease. That can cause a blood-like, metallic taste in the mouth and it would be most prominent in the morning, as the stomach contents can backflow into your mouth when you are lying down in bed.

But seeing a dentist is probably a good idea because he can also examine your tongue and mouth for any sores or lesions that could be causing the bleeding. These may not be visible to you when simply looking in a mirror.

Customer :

I do have gerd and for quite a few years, but never tasted blood. I do bleed in the morning from my gums when I brush my teeth, but again I have had that for years also with no disease. Why is it so infrequent and yet sometimes it can come any time for no apparent reason, sometimes a half of teaspoon of blood.

PatriciaRN :

I could not really tell that without examining you, but if you have a history of both GERD and gum disease, maybe it's coming from one of those problems.

Do you have no idea where the blood is coming from?

Also what sort of tests has the ENT done?

Customer :

No, it just shows up in my saliva or when I clear my throat. Its just so random and annoying

Scope only

PatriciaRN :

When you clear your throat is it possible, do you think, that you may be coughing it up?

Customer :

No I don't cough

PatriciaRN :

Have you had any other symptoms lately, like fevers or chills, or night sweats, or aches and pains

Customer :

I have had an ongoing pain in my sternum for 5 years which they can't find anything. No chills or fever

PatriciaRN :

When was the last time you saw the gastroenterologist?

Customer :

I have seen 2 of them since June

PatriciaRN :

Are you getting treatment for the GERD? Also do you smoke?

Customer :

Quit smoking in 2005. Prilosec

PatriciaRN :

Well, then, if the possibility of bleeding from the stomach or gastrointestinal area has been ruled out by the GI doctor, and the ENT does not think it is from nose bleeds or from the sinuses, I'd say the next logical step would be to have the mouth examined by the dentist to see if there is a new sore in the mouth somewhere.

Customer :

Ok, thank you very much for your time

PatriciaRN :

You're welcome, best of luck and I hope you find the cause soon.

Customer :

Me too. Thank you