Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Is amoxicillin available as a suppository My 2 year old daughter

Customer Question

Is amoxicillin available as a suppository? My 2 year old daughter will not take the liquid, she's thrown up both times we've tried to give it. Plus, we've tried to mix it in every liquid she likes, no luck. She smells it and won't get near it. I'm wasting all of the liquid!
Category: Health
Expert:  RK replied 6 years ago.
Amoxicillin suppository is not available.
I would suggest the following -
1. Mix the medication in the liquid she likes.
2. Take the medicine in a syringe
3. Pinch her nose so that she opens her mouth
Then squirt the medicine inside her cheek slowly until she swallows.

This works most of the times.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  RK replied 6 years ago.
Can you repeat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've tried all of these things without success. I need something else!
Expert:  RK replied 6 years ago.
Why is amoxicillin prescribed to her?
Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.

I see that you have tried disguising the antibiotic in food.

The fact that she has vomited each time that she has taken this antibiotic may indicate that she is having an adverse reaction or "allergy" of some type to this antibiotic.

I would suggest contacting her physician to see if another antibiotic would be appropriate.

If she is being treated for an ear infection, one possible alternative would be an injection of Rocephin (single does can be effective)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
For a possible sinus infection. She had a cold with cough, runny nose 3 weeks ago which was getting better until 3 days ago, she started coughing a lot more, then yesterday she spiked a fever and was listless, tired, not herself. With the long weekend coming up, I chose to take her to the pediatrician to make sure she didn't have something else going on. I saw a nurse practitioner, who said she has a little fluid in her ears, and we discussed the antibiotics. She said she may have a little sinus infection, and she felt comfortable prescribing amoxicillin. The fever goes down with tylenol, but my daughter is refusing any liquid now because she smells the medicine in it. She's hardly slept, nasal congestion, coughing, and when she feels better after the tylenol dosages, she is up and talking and playing.
Based on the history that you provided, I do believe that an antibiotic in this case is probably unnecessary. I suspect that the NP may have felt "pressure" to do something (provide a prescription) with the holiday weekend.

In this case it is unclear that she even has a bacterial infection. The "little fluid in the ears" is not diagnostic of an actual ear infection. Even if this was an early ear infection, there are a number of studies that suggest that ear infections generally DO NOT need antibiotics.

The incidence of true bacterial sinus infections (acute sinusitis) in children is very low. Most guidelines do not recommend treating sinusitis with antibiotic (even in adults) unless the symptoms last for at least 2 weeks.

I suspect that your daughter is suffering from a viral upper respiratory infection. Antibiotics are likely not going to offer any real benefit. HOWEVER, you must understand, I did not examine your daughter, and I am making an educated guess based on the symptoms you describe.

As for antibiotics and your daughter, we still have the issue of her not accepting the current medication. I have been a strong advocate for physicians actually tasting the medications that they prescribe for pediatric patients, since the taste has such a significant impact on the ability of parents to give the full course of treatment. There are a number of studies that have looked at the taste of antibiotics (finally someone did this research), and confirmed what many of us have preached about.

Suprax (cefixime) and Ceclor (cefaclor) have been shown to score higher on the taste scales in several studies. Here is one of the studies
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years