Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have a wbc count of 3.4 what does that mean

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 4 years ago.
Hello..

The normal range of WBC count is-
4.1-10.9x103/µL

There are few medical conditions , related with weakened immune system like- HIV infection, chemotherapy, or radiation therapy , these causes a decrease in white blood cells.

Also there are five major types of white blood cells:

1. Neutrophils
2. Basophils
3. Eosinophils
4. Monocytes
5. Lymphocytes

And Neutropenia" is a medical condition in which the number of neutrophils in the bloodstream is decrease.

This level get decreased in viral infections, but also bacterial or parasitic infections.

Also level get decreased in vitamin B12 deficiency.
In your case wbc count is less, so more testing has to be done , to find the cause and also clinical examination is necessary.

Take care
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my neutrophils (absolute) is 1.7 and the neutrophils is 50..my b12 was 600..does this help

The normal range for the Absolute Neutrophil count is = 1.5 to 8.0.
In your case lies in the normal range.

The normal range of B12 is between 200 and 600/ mm.
In your case this is completely normal.

A clinical examination has to be done along with HIV test, and tests to check the hormone levels.

take care
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have hiv Ive already been tested for that..what hormone levels need to be checked? the drs ive been to don't ever check my hormone levels..I have been fatigued and no energy
Well, Thyroid hormone levels need to be tested at this time.

Also Electrolytes including calcium and magnesium levels should be checked.
And Chronic infection screening ( such as Hepatitis A,B,C,D and E)_ tests will be considered.

Take care
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my thyroid level was tested it was normal as well as my magnesium was 2.1 which I was told was normal..no hepatiitis either..

Low metabolism rate may also be the reason for your symptoms.
Stress and anxiety issue, may cause fatigue.
You need to practice yoga and meditation for relaxation.
Also a regular exercise will help your body to get strength.
Best bet is - consult a Internist.
Take care..

Please click green"ACCEPT"button on this page so that I get credit for my work.
Your Positive feedback and BONUS is always welcome
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will accept your answer however I do have another quesiton..I was advised to take extra vitamins such as magnesium and several others but Im afraid of taking extra supplements if they are not needed.. what do you recommend for vitamins and supplements that would help with stress and overall energy levels and what doses..also could low wbc be something serious like cancer?

Expert:  Charogat replied 4 years ago.

The first important thing is that with a wbc count so close to normal, you should check the lab's normal values (each lab might be very slightly different), and repeat the blood test .

The next thing to know is that there are generally three causes for neutropenia (low wbc count). These are infections, medications, or problems with immunity.

There also is a condition that is called chronic idiopathic neutropenia in which we don't know why the blood count is low, but it has no effect on the person's health. This type is often hereditary.

(There are some other forms of neutropenia as well, but with those you would have had many other symptoms as well).

The previous expert mentioned that chemotherapy can cause neutropenia, but many other medications can as well. This can include many different antibiotics, antifungals, and antivirals, they can include various medications that are antidepresants, antipsychoticvs, pain medications, antithyroid drugs, antihistamines, as well as a list of other medications.

There can also be neutropenia associated with heavy metal poisoning.

Steroids can cause a 'false' neutropenia. (When steroids are taken, and also when vigorous exercise is done, the white blood cells stick to the sides of the blood vessels for a while, and when the blood is collected in a blood test not as many wbcs come out as are actually in the body.

Immunologic things that can cause neutropenia include things such as HIV, but also sometimes can happen from a blood transplant, it can happen if the spleen is enlarged, it can happen after your blood goes through a machine (such as during open heart surgery, or hemodialysis).

G-d Bless

If you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask them.

________________________

If you are satisfied with my answer please click 'accept' so that I can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.

Edited by Charogat on 9/2/2010 at 2:01 PM EST
Well, WBC level need to be monitored for greater or progressive changes over time for say 6 months or so... These are to be considered as normal unless you have symptoms.
Unless there are other symptoms, or tests to go with these reports you should not worry for any serious issue like cancer.

You should not take supplements as your test for electrolyte are normal.
You should take Green vegetables such as spinach , as they provide magnesium because the center of the chlorophyll molecule contains magnesium.
Also Nuts, seeds, and some whole grains are also good sources of magnesium.

Take care

Edited by Robert Fernando on 9/2/2010 at 2:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was told to take supplements and extra vitamins because I am under alot of stress adn have anxiety. Do you recommend any vitamins and supplements and what doses if so

Well, all the vitamin B group, and including B6, B12 and folic acid are important vitamins for stress control, and also the people suffering stress and anxiety are often found to be deficient in these vitamins.

Also at the times of stress, antioxidants such as vitamins C and E are found to be depleted.

A good multivitamin/mineral supplement is important (up to 1,000 mgs) of vitamin C in capsule form, three times a day. These are to be taken with consideration by doctor. Please see your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one last quesiton...if I take a multivitamin plus extra b and c is there a chance of overdosing on any of these
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can I get an answer please as to what extra supplements like vit c and b i should take along with a mulitvitamin and how do i know how much is too much
Well, the proper dosage of vitamin supplements has to adjusted by consideration with doctor only.
You should not take any such supplements without seeing doctor, The dose will be managed by your doctor only.

take care