Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

On Tuesday, I had a cut, I was bleeding, and I put the bandage

On Tuesday, I had a cut, I was bleeding, and I put the bandage cover it.

On Saturday , I was walking in the park , before I was walking in the park , I had two bandage on , and after one round of walking , I realized there is only one bandage in my finger . I thought the bandage I pick up was my bandage, but I am not sure now .

When I pick up the bandage, it does not seemed fresh red blood to me, but now, I am not sure, I am so afraid cannot think of anything now.

I do have broken skin left from the cut on Tuesday that was not completely recover, but it was define not bleeding. My husband said as long as not bleeding, it is not considered as an open wound, is that correct?

The area the skin is broken, I do have one bandage cover while I pick up the e, but because my broker skin area is on my finger nail top area, that is why I had to put too completely cover, one was drop, I just afraid if that is not my bandage, and just go into my broken skin, will I be any risk?
Edit
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr B :

Dr B :

I have read through your post, are you asking if you are at any risk of infection from the bandage?

Customer :

yes , will I have any risk from HIV infection from the bandage ? Thanks.

Dr B :

was the blood on the bandage wet?

Customer :

it does not seemed like it

Customer :

i know blood died in less than 30 second in dry air , and it was a very sunny date , but the problem is I am not sure if the bandate has been there for more than a minute

Dr B :

There is a low risk of HIV infection, but there is a higher risk of hepatitis B

Dr B :

You should get tested for both of these

Customer :

eventhought I was not bleeding ?

Customer :

when I pick up the bandate , it is not wet at all

Dr B :

Yes , even tough you were not bleeding

Customer :

why?

Dr B :

There is still a chance of infection

Dr B :

Because the virus might still have been alive and you can't be sure it did not get in your wound

Customer :

i had a bandate on my wound

Dr B :

Was it the bandage you picked up?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

I have 2 bandage on my finger

Dr B :

You picked up the bandage from the ground, and placed it on your wound?

Customer :

no \

Customer :

I have my own bandage in my wound before i pick up the bandage

Dr B :

what did you do with the bandage when you picked it up?

Customer :

put in the trash can

Customer :

I had two bandage on my finger for double protection when I get a finger nail cut on Tuesday

Dr B :

You did not place it on your skin?

Customer :

no

Dr B :

I see, I thought you placed it on your wound.You have almost no chance of any infection

Customer :

no no

Dr B :

You have virtually nothing to worry about

Customer :

what I worry about I orginal have 2 bandate on my nail cut area to stanblise , u know like your finger nail top , u have to go around it , and I dropped one , and when i pick up the bandate , I was not sure if any healing cut area touch the bandate , and was not bandate is mine , was afaid there could be hiv undied blood on the bandate

Customer :

i got the finger nail cut on tuesday , and i pick up the bandage , it is four days later , do i still have any risk

Dr B :

So the bandaid was not yours, and you placed it on the cut?

Customer :

no

Customer :

the bandaid I placed on my cut is mine , i PUT ITON BEFORE I WENT The park

Dr B :

I don't understand what you are saying

Dr B :

So what is the question?

Customer :

my question is would I have any risk . This is the story . 8/1/2010, I had a finger nail cut, I put the bandaid on , and on 8/4/2010 , I always put 2 bandaid to stable the nail cut area , on 8/4/2010 , I went to the park with 2 bandaid on my finger , I dropped one bandaid , and there is still one bandaid on my finger nail cut . I pick up the bandaid on the park throw into the trash can because I thought it was mine . But now I am not sure . when I pick up that bandaid , I throw into trash can right away , I am just afraid if the bandaid I pick up was not mine , will I get in any risk , is this decrition better ?

Customer :

I am sorry , I am not native english speaker makes u so confuse

Dr B :

There is very little risk, and I don't think you need to worry

Dr B :

It is ok, I understand now

Customer :

do u think i need to go testing , because i have a bandate cover in my open wound

Dr B :

I don't think you need testing

Customer :

and it was a healing cut

Dr B :

I don't think you need any testing

Customer :

thanks , what a relivet , eveybody think i am over worry , I was just here to find a confirmation , your answer in the begining really scarely of me , thank u for your patient

Dr B :

You are welcome

Customer :

and my husband always think open wound only means when u bleeding , the moment u stop bleeding , the dead skinn would protect itself , is that true

Customer :

what is concisder as open wound

Dr B :

An open wound is a wound that does not have skin covering it, whether it is bleeding or not

Dr B :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer :

no , thanks . From what I tell u today , I just want to confirm , I have almost zero risk of any effection , is that correct

Dr B :

Yes that is correct

Dr B :

If you are satisfied please click ACCEPT

Customer :

yes , thanks

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience