Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

My wifes upper lip has swollen up very large with in the last

Customer Question

My wifes upper lip has swollen up very large with in the last 2 hours. (like she had a botox injection) she hasnt. shes allergic to nuts but has not had any.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to the justanswer website. I need the following information from you before, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Is there pain?
Is there any itching?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No pain, no itching no redness
Thanks for the info given. The symptoms your wife is having is most likely due to allergy. Although she has not had any nuts, but there can be some other allergen also. Another possibility is of a condition called Granulomatous cheilitis . The first symptom is a sudden swelling of the upper lip.Its causes are: allergy, Crohn disease, sarcoidosis and orofacial granulomatosis. . It can be a symptom of some kind of allergies. The good thing you have done is the application of ice. Following will help her greatly in reducing the inflammation: Prepare a mixture by combining Fuller's Earth, turmeric powder and water and apply the thick paste on the affected part and wait for a few minutes tile the paste get dried up. Then brush off the crust of the paste from the lips.
An antihistamine tablet such as Benadryl that contains diphenhydramine will provide great relief. It is available as OTC. If this does not provide relief, then she needs consultation of doctor for examination & prescription medications accordingly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
already took a benadryl . she says the swelling could be going down, what kind of a time frame could that happen in from benadryl?
If taken orally, benadryl is said to start its action within the next 15- 60 minutes. It may take few hours to get the swelling completely resolved. On an average it is said to work for around 4 hours succeeding the intake. Thanks once again for using just answer website. Regards-
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks cheif, i appreciate the info.
Thankyou for using just answer & welcome in future if you have any questions.