Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

Fell off a ladder yesterday. Hit my left abdomen on a railing.

Customer Question

Fell off a ladder yesterday. Hit my left abdomen on a railing. LUQ tenderness around /under ribs. Very sore. Also hit my tailbone. No bruises but very tender all around. How do you diagnose a bruised spleen?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Wilson :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Wilson :

You will need to have a physical exam and imaging done such as a CT scan

Customer :

What would be physical signs symptoms of a bruised spleen?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Wilson :

Pain mainly - and this is usually quite painful

Dr. Wilson :

If you struck this area, you should have this evaluated.

Customer :

This is more of a tender, sore under lt. rib cage abdomen. Not severe . I don't have insurance and I am not at home. I am on vacation in Florida. so would like to avoid large insurance hospital visit. How do yo differentiate between rib injury and spleen?

Dr. Wilson :

Most likely this is a musculo skeletal problem - but the ONLY way you can diagnose this is with a physical exam and imaging - and since this was YESTERDAY, unlikely it is a ruptured spleen, you would have noticed it by now.

Dr. Wilson :

Again the only way to know is with imaging for rib vs spleen.

Dr. Wilson :

The majority of times it is a musculo-skeletal injury that heals on its own.

Dr. Wilson :

I hope this helps, if you have additional questions, please ask and Please click on ACCEPT, thank you as this would be appreciated.

Customer :

OK, if it is a bruised spleen , not ruptured what would be the treatment

Dr. Wilson :

Nothing

Dr. Wilson :

As long as it is not bleeding, no treatment is required.

Dr. Wilson :

Customer :

Rest? I have aXXXXXback home. Should I postpone the trip. I am driving alone

Dr. Wilson :

You are probably okay to drive -

Customer :

The tailbone pain is worse than the abd pain. hurts to sit.

Dr. Wilson :

That makes sense - but not much usually is done, even if a broken tail bone.

Dr. Wilson :

Customer :

Don't think i can sit for 15 hrs. in the car. ice or heat, what can be done for this

Dr. Wilson :

Sit on a soft pillow - that is about your only choice (a donut pillow).

Dr. Wilson :

I hope you feel better, and please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, thank you

Customer :

You really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. So no pay

Dr. Wilson :

this is a pay for use website - hence you are paying for my time and you already paid since you made a deposit, so when you click on ACCEPT, you are just making sure I get a portion of that - Thank you and Realize I did spend a fair amount of time with you.

Dr. Wilson :

So, please click on ACCEPT - when you give your time, you expect your employer to pay for your time

Dr. Wilson :

Thank you

Customer :

Not going to click accept

Dr. Wilson :

Please in the future, please tell us ahead of time you don't plan on accepting - I will inform JA about this, thank you

Customer :

not satisfied withthe answer, was 100% guarantee

Dr. Wilson :

I confirmed what you found - so I do not understand why you are not satisfied

Dr. Wilson :

You are asking for a physician's time - and you are asking us specific questions - and you are getting answers

Dr. Wilson :

Thank you