Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

i am a 58 year old male, and i had a tender marble size hard

i am a 58 year old male, and i had a tender marble size hard spot just below the skin in the center of my right arm pit. as it has not been as tender the past couple of days and has shrunk some what, i now have another coming on my left arm pit in the center, idenical to the first. hurts, very tender. would like to know what it is and what may have caused it. John D.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Customer :

hello

Anthony Bray MD :

This sounds that you have had a couple of enlarged lymph nodes. These are part of the immune system. With certain infections they will react and become enlarged. Some viral infections can affect lymph nodes throughout the body. Other infections have a more regional effect.

Anthony Bray MD :

If regional then an infection of the arm or the chest (lungs) could affect the lymph nodes in the armpit area.

Customer :

so just let them run their course and not wonder what really caused them?

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that the first was resolving on its own. I would recommend that you be observant for other potential signs such as cough, fever or night seates..

Anthony Bray MD :

...sory for spelling...night sweats...

Customer :

k just haven't had any other problems. i am very healthy i suppose for my age

Anthony Bray MD :

Well if only the tender lymph nodes and no other symptoms then I would say that you can safely watch the lymph nodes and see if they don't go down within a few weeks.

Customer :

k thank you i feel you have answered me fine. john d.

Anthony Bray MD :

You are welcome

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice