Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Am I in risk am I in risj I picked up used bandate in

Am I in risk ?
am I in risj
I picked up used bandate in the park and throw it into the trash can , I do not know how long it has been , it could be less than 1 minute , and it could be there for a long time , I wasn't think that much .

But now , I am so afraid , it was a sunny saturday , I got a car in Tuesday ( before I pick up the bandate ) , it was bledding , I put the bandate on my finger , by saturday , the skinn was not totally silk up yet , but it was not bleeding .

I am so afarid if I pick up the bandate from risk a HIV person , and my finger was not fully silk, but it was define not bleeding at that time . Will I in any risk ?

Afraid to dealth, please help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.

I need to clarify the situation that you describe.

Are you saying that you picked up a used bandage that you saw on the ground in the park to throw it into the trash can?

If so, do you know who's band aid this was?

Was there blood on the band aid you picked up? If so, was the blood dry or wet; a small amount or soaking the band aid or somewhere in between? What color was the blood on the band aid? Was it brown, dark brown, maroon or bright red?

Did you have a wound or broken skin on the hand or finger that touched the band aid?

If so describe the wound and when did you get it?

Then, later in the post you mention that you put a band aid on your finger. Was this the dirty band aid or a new band aid.

I don't know what you mean by 'the finger was not fully silk" (silk is a type of material or thread)

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this must be hard if you are not a native English speaker, but I will be patient with you, so take your time in explaining what happened, and go step by step if you like (it is likely you are at little risk -- but I do need the correct details in order to say that and be absolutely 100% sure)

Edited by Susan Ivy on 9/2/2010 at 1:17 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On Tuesday, I had a cut, I was bleeding, and I put the bandage cover it.

On Saturday , I was walking in the park , before I was walking in the park , I had two bandage on , and after one round of walking , I realized there is only one bandage in my finger . I thought the bandage I pick up was my bandage, but I am not sure now .

When I pick up the bandage, it does not seemed fresh red blood to me, but now, I am not sure, I am so afraid cannot think of anything now.

I do have broken skin left from the cut on Tuesday, but it was define not bleeding. My husband said as long as not bleeding, it is not considered as an open wound, is that correct?

The area the skin is broken, I do have one bandage cover while I pick up the e, but because my broker skin area is on my finger nail top area, that is why I had to put too completely cover, one was drop, I just afraid if that is not my bandage, and just go into my broken skin, will I be any risk?

Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
The other expert is offline:

I will be happy to help you.

The risk of contacting HIV from a bandage that with dried blood on skin that had a healing cut is as close to zero as is possible.

I would honestly not worry one iota about this particular episode if this were my own family member.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if I am one of family member , would u tell them go testing since we are not sure how long the bandage is there ? thanks. But it was a su super hot sunny saturday , except me , one one old man was running in the park .thanks

Obviously you have to make that decision on your own, but I this were my family member, I would not suggest testing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks , that means u believet there is almost zero percent risk base on this fact , is that correct ? This would be my last question and confirmation , thank you .
Absolutely - as close to zero as imaginable.

Most people overestimate the risk of HIV transmission. This chart from the CDC shows the approximate risk of various possible routes of transmission (notice they don't even list anything similar to picking up a bandaid with dried blood)
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm#tab1

Even for getting stuck with a needle that was used on a HIV patient is only 30 in 10,000 (0.3% risk). Sharing a needle with someone who is HIV positive is 67 in 10,000 occurrences.

You also have to consider that the actual risk of the person in the general public that lost this bandage having HIV is rather small as well. The population of the USA is approximately 308 Million. With approximately 1 million with HIV (about 1 in 300).

By statistics, there would only be a 1 in 300 chance that the person who had use this bandage was HIV positive. HIV does not last for extended periods in the environment, and skin is an excellent barrier to prevent infection (yes even a cut that was healing).

In summary - Don't worry yourself about this - Get a good night's sleep
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years