Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My son needed a blood test for school to screen for sickle cell

My son needed a blood test for school to screen for sickle cell. The bill came from the lab and the code are:83891,83893,83898,83912,83896.What are all these tests?Thank you
Why did he need these test for school?

How old is your son?

Was he having a problem that they wanted these tests?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is required for cross country team members by NCAA He is 19 and he was not having any problems. It seemed like a lot of different codes and tests for a one disease screening.
That is interesting, I never knew that the NCAA required these particular tests. (You learn something new every day).

These numbers are the CPT codes for the particular tests. CPT codes are a standardized set of codes to describe medical procedures for billing purposes.

The exact detail for these codes are as follows:

3891 Molecular diagnostics; isolation or extraction of highly purified nucleic acid, each nucleic acid type (ie, DNA or RNA)

83893 Molecular diagnostics; dot/slot blot production, each nucleic acid preparation

83898 Molecular diagnostics; amplification, target, each nucleic acid sequence

83912 Molecular diagnostics; interpretation and report

83896 Molecular diagnostics; nucleic acid probe, each

(I know you are now scratching your head more than before we started...)
Basically these are a variety of different genetics tests or any condition (in this case it would be for the genes associated with Sickle Cell disease)

I have NO idea why they performed this extensive testing protocol as the initial screening for sickle cell trait. I checked the NCAA site to see if they required particular tests, and it does not appear that they require this comprehensive testing.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2010/division+i/protocol+decided+for+sickle+cell+testing_04_13_10_ncaa_news

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/academics+and+athletes/personal+welfare/health+and+safety/ncaa+division+i+sickle+cell+trait+qa+for+institutions

It appears that the much cheaper screening tests would have been acceptable for the requirement.