Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

what does it mean when magensum levels are low

what does it mean when magensum levels are low?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

Do you take any medications?
Drink alcohol?
Have any chronic health problems?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my mum has congested heart failure,copd,diabetic on insluin ,high blood pressure ,cellutis on her legs. she was having chest pain and was admitted to hospital we have been told her heart failure has worsened and her magensum levels are low and she was given injection for this. what would cause them to go so low?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I suspect she is on diuretics since she has congestive heart failure.

These are common causes of low magnesium.

Diabetics are also more prone to low magnesium--if the blood glucose is high, the magnesium can drop.

So your mom has two reasons that could explain it.

Often, the symptoms of low magnesium are non-specific and vague. Muscle weakness, muscle cramps, heart palpitations or heart racing, dizziness, imbalance, loss of appetite, seizures and depression are some reported symptoms. If the magnesium deficiency is severe, heart arrhthymias can occur along with confusion.

I hope that your mom feels better soon,

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
they are symptons could you please give me amore specific cause and prognosis?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
The cause in your mom is likely her diuretic medication and her diabetes.
The prognosis is good because it can be easily replaced with supplements.

I listed the causes before the symptoms in the above posting--diuretic medications and high blood sugar are likely causes in your mother.

Other causes include alcohol, kidney diseases, high calcium, proton pump inhibitor medication (such as Prilosec), diarrhea, thryroidectomy/parathyroidectomy and drugs that are toxic to the kidney.

Hopefully that answers your question for you. If not, feel free to let me know and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she needs to be on the diuretic medication because of the heart failure she is on ahigh dose so does this mean her magensium will always be low ? if so how can it be treated long term?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it is important for her to remain on the diuretic.

Long term, low magnesium can be treated with oral magnesium supplements such as Slo-Mag or Mag-Tab SR.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she had a bnp blood test done which came back at 747 what does this mean?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
The BNP test is a test that is used to help with the diagnosis of heart failure in people who are short of breath.
When the BNP is high, this indicates congestive heart failure. Your mom's test is high, which does indicate that she has congestive heart failure.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what would the normal level? what would be the fatal level?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
There really is not a fatal level of a BNP.

Levels below 100 are normal.
Levels above 900 indicate severe heart failure.
Here is more information about the BNP if you would like to read:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/services/tests/labtests/bnp.aspx

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you were so helpful thank you very much for answering all my questions.:)
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome.
I hope that your mom feels better.
I know how hard it is when a parent is ill....

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States