Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

I frequently am awakened in the wee hours by natures call,

I frequently am awakened in the wee hours by nature's call, but it is not to pee, but rather the message is on line #2, so to speak .. yet, when I get to the bathroom and park my butt on the toilet, it is usually just gas .. yet when I lay down again, the feeling of an immenent bowel movement returns .. and the same thing happens .. it can be quite maddening .. is there a name for such a condition, and what can be done to avoid it? .. I make a serious effort to eat as little as possible in the evening, but my schedule sometmes prevents that, and I do notice this phenomenon is more pronounced if I eat later. I am 62 years of age .. is it merely my metablolism changing?
Category: Health
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 6 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-9tef2ap5; Increase in intestinal gas is usually not related to age at all,but to dietary changes. Increased gas can come from swallowing air such as gum chewing, carbonated beverages,smoking and eating and drinking at the same time. Increased digestive gas can come from too much fiber in the diet. Gas-X (simethicone) 3-4 times daily can reduce this. If you have othr digestive symptoms or problems, see your GP. Good luck