Dr.Tiwari
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

Hello Last night I stubbed my big toe to the point that the

Hello: Last night I stubbed my big toe to the point that the entire nail was sticking strait up in the air and all the way to the back of the toe. I was able to remove the nail and clean it, wrap it and stop the bleeding. What would the suggested follow up treatment be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.
I feel sorry to know about such painful injury.

At present you should do following to have relief & prevent complications-

1.Clean the part with an antiseptic solution very mildly with sterilized gauze pieces.

2.Apply an antiseptic ointment like betadine or neosporin.

3.Take an anti inflammatory analgesic like tylenol or advil ,so that you can have relief in pain.

4.Take a broad spectrum antibiotic like ciprofloxacin or augmentin.This will prevent any superinfection to that area.

5.It looks that only the nail plate is injured so there are good chances to have a new nail again.

Hope this will help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what about continued care as it heals? Soaking? Keep it wrapped or open to the air? etc.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.
After next 5-7 days you should continue to apply neosporin oint.In this period the nail starts growing from base & wound will heal by soft granulation.You may wrap this area over the ointment.Try to wear open foot wears.Avoid wetting it in water for 7-10 days.

Hope this will help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I get the suggested anti-biotic without seeing a doctor? ie: is there any product available over the counter that would suffice?
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, Except the local ointment the oral antibiotics are not available OTC .You should have prescription for oral antibiotic.

Hope this will help you.
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience: M.D.