Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

it comes to my periods..prolactin..2 pill every other flashes

For the last 2 years i have had many problems when it comes to my periods- after seeing numerous dr's one discovered I have high prolactin levels- im on Bromacriptine (lowest dose 1/2 pill every other day_ no tumor.

Anyhow, I have these aweful hot flashes a week before my period- sometimes it last 2 weeks. Its unbearable! NO SLEEP- i literally take a bath 3- times a day to shave my legs cause I can't stand the hair growing on them when I get the goosebumps! PLEASE help- what do you suggest I do? THe dr sees nothing else wrong with me but i hate living like this- I have 2 weeks good 2 weeks bad- and its BAD!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

A rescreening of the hormones should be done to look for the hormonal aberrations responsible for the hot flashes. Abnormal thyroid or adrenal gland functions can be responsible for these symptoms. Otherwise it can be considered as premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Most evidence suggests that PMS results from the alterations in or interactions between the levels of sex hormones and brain chemicals known as neurotransmitters. Following measures can be helpful;

1) Dietary restriction of coffee, tea, cola soft drinks, and chocolate.

2) Alternative therapies; St. John's wort, hyssop, sage, and black walnut bark can be brewed into a tea. Evening primrose oil may also be effective.

3) Medications like Gabapentin, Clonidine, Atropine, Propranolol (prescription products)

4) Following would be helpful (if you do);

a) quit smoking;
b) reduce alcohol intake; and
c) reduce intake of refined sugars.

5) Mild aerobic exercises

6) Yoga

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for replying- I have a couple of Questions for you-

First- I will try your suggestions about coffee ect- Do you feel it to be ok if I had one cup of coffee each morning and 1/2 softdrink in a day? the rest of the time I drink water. I do eat a lot of refined sugars despite my low weight- I will begin to wean myself off these.

Second- I do have gabapetenin here at the house- Its about a year old- Do you suggest I take it at night when these symptoms begin? Im not much of a pill popper so I dont want my body to get hooked on to something. If you feel that would benefit me (2 weeks before my period) I can start taking the gabapetenin at nights.

in te meantime Ill make an appt to follow up with my obgyn

You are very welcome.

An year old Gabapentin may have expired. Than it should be used under strict medical supervision. So please consult with your physician before starting it. A cup coffee and half soft drink can be taken.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun