Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

depo shot..more injections and will switching to the pill

I have been on the depo shot (first injection)for about 10 wks now and I haven't had any weight gain, but it seems to be making it impossible for me to lose any pounds. I am not going to get any more injections and will switching to the pill, but I would like to know how long it may take me to start being able to lose weight again after stopping the shot? Will it start to wear off after a few weeks or could it take longer to get out of my system?
The effect of using a depo provera injection does not cease immediately after you stop taking the contraceptive. Although you may start ovulating immediately but your weight will be normalized after few months.Although you have not gained any weight because you had only one injection, but still it will take atleast 4-6 months when you will be able to loose weight.