Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

I had gotten a splinter on the pad of my left thumb. My skin

I had gotten a splinter on the pad of my left thumb. My skin grows very fast so splinters are hard to get out. When I got the splinter out there were ten more. As I got those out 10 (general number) more would appear. This has been going on for a month now. Sometimes I am able to go a day or two with out trying to get any splinters out but when they start burning and my thumb is throbbing I cant stand it anymore and try to get the surface ones. The problem area will get a hard shell over it that I can litterally peal away to reveal new skin as though I never dug in and bloodied my finger at all. I do realize they cant really be splinters, a good term I ran across was splinter hemmorage. This did happen to me about 6 months ago with two other fingers and I picked at them for 2 months before they finally healed. At that time I was seeing a doctor for this with no results, he seemed as baffled as I was. He said I may have some kind of skin condition and gave me medication which never helped.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
mysticdoc :

hi

mysticdoc :

do you have splinter hemorrhage?

mysticdoc :

what you mean by splinter --hard substance or blood?

mysticdoc :

please reply

Customer :

Splinter hemorrage is just a term I read and it seemed to fit what I have going on so I used that for an example to give a better picture without seeing it. I would have to say a hard substance I have saved some of the splinters I pulled out and most of them look the same.

mysticdoc :

did you have any wooden splinter getting into your thumb?

mysticdoc :

otherwise, this may be caused by certain autoimmune conditions

mysticdoc :

thi can be a manifestation of lupus

mysticdoc :

hence, SL & other connective tissue disorders should be ruled out.

mysticdoc :

I meant to say SLE

Customer :

No it was actually a plastic splinter that I had gotten out and also saved. I have been ready to go to urgent care. That was one of the things I read about and never came across the splinter thing.

Customer :

what is SLE?

mysticdoc :

Systemic lupus erythematosus

mysticdoc :

this is an autoimmune condition that can sometimes cause splinter like hemorrhages.

Customer :

Im sorry I was trying to talk to my boss and never completed my sentences.

mysticdoc :

if you are certain about plastic splinters, then you may consider seeing a general surgeon

mysticdoc :

Xrays will be helpful if there are indeed any splinters.

Customer :

I have no medical insurance that is why I am going this route. There does seem to be something in there still. Whatever it is has a hard shell around it and I cannot penetrate it. It also seems to move around. I can squeeze my thumb and blood will seep out at any time. I am ready to go crazy I cant stand this anymore. Not much I can do. Accept hopefully find out what might be going on and get some sort of piece of mind from that. And stop picking at my thumb.

mysticdoc :

yes, please avoid picking at your thumb.

mysticdoc :

If there is no pain or swelling.

mysticdoc :

please keep an eye.

mysticdoc :

often, this tnds to heal over time.

mysticdoc :

And further worsening or appearance of new symptoms like fever, spreading of rash, joint pains--should be taken seriously.

mysticdoc :

Otherwise, it is better just to observe for a while.

mysticdoc :

do you have any other question?

Customer :

no

mysticdoc :

I wish your speedy recovery.

mysticdoc :

Please let me know if you nee any clarification in future.

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im sorry for delaying things I just needed time to absorb your reply and being at work makes it all the more difficult.

Can drug induced lupus be caused by acyclovir? I've been taking that medication for three years.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

Although acyclovir is not known to cause drug induced lupus, acyclovir may cause various forms of rash & even vasculitis.

Hence, you may consider discontinuing acyclovir & see if it improves.