Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.

Hi, About 6 weeks ago I suffered a lisfranc ligament sprain

About 6 weeks ago I suffered a lisfranc ligament sprain in my right foot. The pain has mostly subsided except for some occassional pain in the arch area when I walk.

My question is specifically for a physical therapist - what types of stretching, excercises, etc should/could I do to help the injury heal a little quicker and get back to normal? Are there signs or ways to know whether the pain is from the foot/ligament just being weak or if it is because the foot is still healing?

Also, something that is a little peculiar - if I massage the top of my foot (in the area of where the bone in the middle of the foot sticks out slightly) or press in a certain way, I feel a very distinct tingling sensation in my toes. Is this normal? Does anyone know the cause of this? This does not happen in the foot that did not sustain the injury.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 6 years ago.
It is 6 weeks after the foot injury .Now you may do following exercises which will make your foot more supple & useful -

1.Sit on a bed & keep your leg straight.Now stretch your foot downward.Do it slowly upto the count of three & then relax.Slowly increase the time & count.

2.In same position pull your foot upward at the ankle & count for three & then release.

3.Keep your foot on bed in relaxed position & make a figure of eight with your great toe.Do it for three times & increase the count & time.

The pain on massage on top of foot is due to stretch of the nerves as your ligament & other part are not in normal size due to contraction during healing.

Hope this will help you.