Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

known HTN..tablets I have excessive dry mouth during the night

Hi I am a 42 year old man a known HTN on norvasc 10 mg once a day. Since i started taking these tablets I have excessive dry mouth during the night that often wakes me. I do snore loudly also when I sleep I am not over weight for my size any idea what I can do. I told my regular doctor and he said it the side effect of the meds and I will get use to it after a while. Its been over 2 years and I still suffer great discomfort having to wake from sleep to get a drink to moisten my throat
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

First, I would tell your physician that you want to be put on a different HTN medication. There are so very many out there and if that is the only one you are on than you can change it.

Second, Usually dry mouth is due to the opening of you mouth when you sleep. There are chin straps that you can try to help you keep you mouth closed and less drying out.