Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

my ankle..morning i have had an ache between the calf and upper thigh

i dropped an iron on my ankle last week...very painful. two days ago and this morning i have had an ache between the calf and upper thigh. not agonising but am concerned it could be a clot or varicose veins. please can you advise. thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Is there any swelling of the leg?
Do you feel any warmth?
Redness?
Is there any family history of blood clots?
Do you take any medications? Birth control?
Any recent long car rides or plane trips?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no swelling or warmth or redness but a small bruise.

i do not take any medication or birth control and there is no history of blood clots t9o my knowledge. although heart attacks and strokes are in my family background.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

Other than trauma to the leg/ankle, you do not have any risk factors for the development of a blood clot.
Without swelling, warmth, tenderness over any veins in the leg, family history of a blood clot, personal history of cancer, recent immobilization or hormone therapy your risk is very low.
The only way to truly know is to have your doctor examine you and have an ultrasound of the veins of the leg.

Varicose veins are often visible or palpable. If they are long-standing, they can also cause swelling in the lower leg as well as a brownish staining to the skin.
Varicose veins can also cause a heavy achiness to the legs.
Ultrasound of the veins can also diagnose these.

It is possible, because of the recent ankle injury, that you have developed a muscle strain of the leg. Many people walk differently due to the pain...

I would have your doctor take a look, especially if you develop any swelling.

Ibuprofen is fine to try for muscle strain.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States