Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hey Doc the weirdest thing, my head actually kind of stopped

Hey Doc the weirdest thing, my head actually kind of stopped hurting last night and I was able to sleep. I woke up this morning no headache, I am still going to go the nuero though in case it comes back. I guess it was a Migraine that lasted for like 5 days. I gotta stop thinking about it though because when I do its like it hurts again.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

This is good news. Going to Neurologist is good as a physical examination can pin point the cause of the headache. As we discussed this is likely to be migraine and anxiety. Please let me know, what the specialist said.

Thank you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sure just as a question though, do you think this he is going to say something bad?

I am very sure that he is not going to say anything bad.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh ok, was just wondering. I think he will probably put me back on the propalonal. Just another quick question. I wanted to ask yesterday but forgot since I got a cat scan and a MRI last year, do things not normally gro that fast if there was something? I mean a year is a long time can tumors or things grow in your brain within a year or is that normally not the case. Just curious, because you had made the comment that yesterday "esp since I had gotten the scans about a year ago"

Your CT scan / MRI were done for headache. They came out normal so migraine was assigned the cause. Same headache appeared again, so same MRI / CT findings are anticipated if done again. Nothing new is likely to appear in brain.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well actually I was having differnt symptoms back then, I was getting dizzy and was off balance and having vission issues. They cam back normal, and the doc said I was having migraines minus the headaches, I mean I would get some but not alot. The past few days were all headaches thats it.

OK.

Let me tell you; out of ten thousand headaches only one may have any serious association. Rest all are benign. So headache is rarely pointing to anything serious. An headache due to brain tumor will have other neurological signs too and occurring just alone, again would be quite uncommon. In medicine there is a saying; if you predict rare diagnosis, you would be rarely correct!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ha ha ok

Bye,

Take care.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Doc, I went this morning and he said that it was prob just a bad Migraine he gave me a medicine to try, to see if it helps if I get another Migraine. He said to come back in a few weeks if the headached continue he will put me on the propanolol again. However for now we will wait. I forget the name of the drug he gave me but I am supppsed to use it if I feel a migraine coming. Its supposed to be very strong. I am also finally going in for my sleep apneia study. He said that could be a reason I was experiancing them at night.

That's good and I hope all fear alleviated. Sleep apnea study is a good idea.

Thanks for updating me.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok Doc I had to start a new thread for this one I think I am legitimately freaking out this morning. Three things.
1) The groin growth still there small, but next to it or on top of it I can tell there is like a pink flesh colored bump( or its still the bump itself to close to tell) that has popped up. It looks like when you have a cut what your inside flesh looks like. What is that!

2) That bump on my neck is still there that I thought was a lymph node and that has been there for like 4 weeks now. I cant tell if its getting bigger or not or the same size. Not hard though like a marble or stone.

3) Yesterday the bottom of my throat started hurting like when I cough or laugh, like a very soar pain. When I swallow like a big clump of food it would hurt. No trouble swallowing but it would like hurt at the bottom of my throat. It seems to be a little better today, but kind of still there.

There is just to much going on with my body right now, something is not right. What is going on

Please do not get very conscious about the body. Our body is in high metabolic state where cells grow daily and destroy. So it can be considered as a factory.

1) The groin has been examined by your doctor and has responded to antibiotic. It cannot be anything serious. This looks like hypertrophied scar. They tend to get smaller in 6-8 weeks.

2) The neck lymph nodes can enlarge due to many reasons and commonest are; sores in the mouth, dental infections, sore throat, nose and sinus issues etc. The serious issue related to lymph nodes are rare. A bump does not mean cancer, so please do not jump on conclusions.

3) This is likely to be soar throat or problem due to gulping food or hot gulp of coffee etc.

I would not be worried.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok well my throat is what is weird, I dont think it is from that it just like hurts, when I swallow food, drink etc. Its like the bottom of my throat. Like when I laugh I can feel it and when I cough I can to it does not seem to be as bad as yesterday but its still there. I just want all of this to go away! The reason I get freaked out is because its like something new everday!

These things happen to all of us actually. The idea is not to think about the worse things and obsessed with cancer. Cancer symptoms do not come or go or appear here or there. As we discussed, all of these things are very likely to be nothing. If there was smallest thing, I would have not the slightest hesitation to ask you to go to a doctor or get investigated.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK Ya I know, its just what can cause my throat to hurt over night? Im scared there is like a tumor there now or something I dunno.

Tumor does not come overnight, believe me. Anxious people have severe acid reflux (and sleep apnea is also related with reflux), which causes pain in throat.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok Ok ya maybe this sleep apnea study will reveal alot I go in for that next Sunday. I will just try to keep calm. Any idea of what would cause the troat pain though? or what I should try to make it go away.

Taking antacids and acid blockers should help. You can take tylenol for the pain. Salt water gargles may help.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks again

You are most welcome.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Doc question I am concerned now about my throat. It feels weird. I have like a cough that I will randomly do( this has been going on for months but I have not thought twice about it), also it just feels weird. I am always snorting like something is there. That has been happening for months as well. It's not hard to swallow meaning the food goes down, but it feels weird. I want to say like something is there but it doesnt exactly feel like a lump is there but like the bottom of my throat will like hurt at times. Lots of belching going on lately and after I eat recently I have been experiencing small pains on sided of my chest. What is going on. With all this MIcheal Douglas throat cancer stuff I feel like thats what I how.

As we had discussed this can be reflux which can cause throat symptoms (very common). The treatment is antireflux medicines. H2 receptor antagonist like ranitidine, or proton pump inhibitor (called as PPI) like Prilosec with antacids like Maalox or tums taken for 6 weeks, which are usually beneficial. An ENT (ear nose throat) specialist check will diagnose it. The specialist check up is mandatory to confirm the diagnosis, though you may start the treatment while seeking appointment as all these medications are available over the counter. Stress and anxiety may be associated with it. Infectious or allergic laryngitis, are the other possibilities. Globus sensation is also a diagnostic possibility, which causes lump sensation and swallowing issue. Please read the details in this resource about Globus;

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec02/ch007/ch007e.html

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hmm ok , its just that my throat feels different everyday. Like today I woke up and it hurts to swallow saliva. Its like a gulping after I swallow and that is kind of sore. My dad has acid reflux but I thought thats just a burning, acid sensation, in your throat. I don't have an acidic taste. Its so hard to explain. The funny thing is when I eat food it doesn't bother me its fine. Its just like when I swallow saliva.

Also I am finally going for my cardio clearance today, what should I expect? Like what will the doctor do to test me? Im kind of nervous. Since I am overweight I bet he will find something wrong with my heart.

It is not just the burning in throat with the reflux. There are many other symptoms. People may have hoarseness of voice and discomfort during swallowing. No pain during the food is again a pointer that things are pretty normal and not concerning.

The cardiologist will get an echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart) and a treadmill stress test. In your age group there is one in one thousand chance that you may not clear the tests (despite over weight). So would bet that you would clear it!! Let me know the result!!! And go ahead, enjoy it. It is fun, I can tell you. Do not get nervous.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok its just weird, my throat Its been going on for about a week now should I go see my doctor. Like today it hurts when I swallow and it may when I eat, I dont know have not eaten, but all weekend it wasnt like this. It was more snorting to clear my throat, and the feeling like something is stuck there or there. AGHH so frustrating!

Showing to a doctor will stop your anxiety. Another possibility with your symptoms can be post nasal drip which needs anti allergic medication like cetirizine.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You know the funny thing about that is, I think I should ask about that as well I have always been snorting, I was told that I have alot of build up in one of my ears because of allergies, and the inside of nose hurts. I never thought I had bad allergies but I just may. Because when I snort I do feel stuff going down, but would that cause your throat to hurt and feel like there is something there?

Yes, the allergies can cause either sinusitis or post nasal drip and all of your symptoms. Perfect diagnosis. Explains this clearly.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ill look into that more I hope thats what it is.

Please do not worry. There is nothing serious going on.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HEy Doc sorry to get back to you so late, I passed my clearence he did a heart ultrasound and an EKG or something. I didnt have to get on the treadmill though. So I am going in for the procedure on the 8th.

Great to hear that. We discussed that everything would be normal!.

Thanks for updating me.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ya but I am still concearned about my throat. Its so weird to explain its like if I yawn it feels tight and like there is pain, its so very hard to explain if that makes any sence. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning it feels different every day as well.

None of these symptoms point to anything serious, as a matter of fact. Still you may get it checked up by your GP or ENT specialist, so you may calm down and relieve you anxiety.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I knowm then when I swallow saliva it feels weird as well sometime not all the time. Also question I know I have asked you about this before but I wanted to run this by you again. I still get like under skin twiches all over my body. Likle it will be in my neck sometimes leg, arm, bottom etc. It will feel like there is a a qucik twitch or firing for like 3 seconds then go away. If its on my arm or leg or something I can atually see it. What can cause this and why would this continue like it is.

Skin twitches are benign and rarely serious. You may take multimineral supplement.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK should I be worried about this. Lately for about the past 8 months, I have been typing the wrong letters on the keybord, and like hitting the wrong letter multiple times sometimes when I am not looking at the keyboard. Also when I am reading to myself I will read the wrong word or read ahead then read it again, and get it right, but when I am like reading the on the computer on like a book sometimes I will read the wrong word. So for example I was reading the disclaimer below and the word question I read as request first then I realised that it said questions. Is this something serious that I need to see my neurologist about(brain tumor) or am I just paranoid with all that is going on and I am just thinking that all this is going on and I am making myself read this stuff. Its really weird. The funny thing is I read allowed it doesnt happen! I hope that made sence.

All of these happen to everybody and when we are in stress or anxiety, this can occur frequently. A true perspective can only be gathered by the neurological examination. On one hand this can be nothing significant and on other hand this may have some importance. With your history of anxiety, I would attribute these problem, to anxiety only, but yes, they do deserve a medical evaluation.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this sound like a brain tumor?

No. Not at all.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ya I dunno...you read the net and people say things. You know how I am, esp with my grandmother and her brain tumor. What could cause something like this if this is actually something and not anxiety?
Stress is the commonest cause. Fatigue (physical and mental) is the other cause. Distraction, cognitive disorders, autism may be the other diagnosis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this something that I need to seek help with Immediately
No. This is not an emergency and you may talk to your GP on a routine appointment.