Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I am 43, average height 165cm and weigh 65kg and have been

Customer Question

I am 43, average height 165cm and weigh 65kg and have been trying to loose weight for the past 2 months and I'm struggling. I started picking up weight (about 13kg's) about four years ago when I stopped smoking.
I have been following a strict low carb diet, having protein shakes for breakfast, salad and tuna at lunch and fish\chicken with veg (low carb) at suppertime. I'v stopped all fizzy drinks and sugar and watch what dairy I eat. If I'm really hungry I have a diet protein bar.
I walk 6km 3-5 times a week I lost 3kg in the first month and since then nothing!
I am so frustrated.
What am I doing wrong?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to and thanks for your question .

Your BMI is 24.5 - normal weight .
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight.

Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater .

Well as per your BMI you need not to lose so much weight and if you want to maintain a good weight then avoid stress .
Stress can play an important role in accumulation of fat apart from lack of exercise and improper diet .

A reasonable initial weight loss goal is to lose about 10% of your current body weight.

A weight loss of more than 2 pounds per week is not good due to what is called Yoyo effect. It is the cycle of losing and regaining weight.

This happens when a person tries to reduce a significant amount of weight in a short period of time through rigid dieting and then suddenly discontinues dieting because of boredom or sheer hunger.

When this happens, the person gains weight but this time becomes even heavier than before dieting started.

Apart from this if you have unexplained weight gain then you need to undergo Thyroid function test as well.
I suggest you to consult your regular doctor for further evaluation and management .
I hope this helps.

Edited by Dr Anil Kumar on 9/1/2010 at 12:53 PM EST