Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I had cramping 2 weeks before my period was due, and felt nauseous

I had cramping 2 weeks before my period was due, and felt nauseous almost daily while leading up to my period. I also had some lower back pain. Then, it went away for a day, and then the cramping came back and I got my period right on time. It was very light, and filled up one regular tampon the first day, half a tampon the next day, and then just the tip of one tampon yesterday. It has now stopped. My breasts were very sore, which is normal for me. That has subsided, but they still feel slightly sore, and heavy. I am extremely bloated in my lower abdomen all the time, and sometimes still feel nauseous. I have been going to bed at 9:30 in the evenings, which is not normal for me, and waking up late. My lower back hurts a lot. Two pregnancy tests before my period indicated I was not pregnant. I have not taken another. I woke up drenched in sweat tonight. Is this a kidney infection?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

The symptoms can be due to several causes.

It can be due to pelvic or urinary infection.

As you had menstruation in normal time, the chance of pregnancy is less, can be possible.

Sometimes implantation bleeding of pregnancy can occur in the same time of the usual menstrual period.

In that cases, less bleeding can correlate with it.

Home pregnancy test is more sensitive after 1 week of missed period.

On the day of scheduled period or even earlier it can be positive.

In some cases, it can take 2 weeks too.

Blood hormonal assessment is more authentic & accurate.

It can give positive result now.

You can consult doctor & get a blood pregnancy test, urine, swab test to exclude any infection and for confirmation.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.