Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

red blotches on my arms and part of my neck..lotion on them and stay

I go to the pool and have developed red blotches on my arms and part of my neck. I put lotion on them and stay out of the sun. Then the blotches pale. When they are red the itch. They even wake me up. As soon as I feel I okay and go in the pool, the spots become angry red again. Is there anything I can do and still enjoy my pool?

Thank you for your help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 6 years ago.

You have either probably picked up a fungal infection or have developed contact dermatitis. You can try applying an antifungal ointment known as Lotrimin, available without prescription. You need to also apply a steroid like 1% hydrocortisone, also available without presription at least twice daily - this should help the rash to go away.

Please avoid the pool for at least 1 month to help the rash clear up.

Before you go to the pool, please apply a layer of vaseline over the rash to prevent excessive contact of water with the rash

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.