Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

I am 56 years old and my PSA level has risen from 1.7 to 4.2

I am 56 years old and my PSA level has risen from 1.7 to 4.2 in nine months. My prostate is slightly enlarged. I do not get up at night to urinate and have a fairly strong urine stream. A digital rectal exam showed no abnormalities.

My urologist quickly suggested a biopsy where they take biopsies from 12 placed inside the prostate with a needle. I have heard that the biopsy can cause side effects and perhaps help spread the slow growing cancer, if I have cancer. I have not used herbal methods to reduce PSA like Saw palmmetto, (sp?) etc. Your thoughts on this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am confused, what question can I help you answer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How safe are these biopsy tests? I have heard the side effects can be the spread of cancer that was contained through the 12 biopsy holes and possible impotence as a result of the tests.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.
The biopsy tests are quite safe, and there is little chance that it will spread cancer.It is also the only way you can rule out cancer, so you really should have the biopsy.

Let me know if you need more information or have more questions