Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I am a 43 year old female with a history of fibrocystic breasts,

I am a 43 year old female with a history of fibrocystic breasts, especially the right breast. Several large cysts were found in 2008, and I had the whole diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound but by my annual mammogram in Oct. 2009, they seemed to have shrunk, and the mammogram was normal.

I currently have tenderness in my right breast, just below the nipple and just a very faint discoloration ( like a slight bruise) just below my nipple. There is no pain, but tenderness around the nipple and the right breast may be slightly swollen.

Does this sound like return of the fibrocystic thing or is it indicative of breast cancer. I have my annual screening mamogram scheduled in Oct., but should I see my PCP sooner?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.

The tenderness sounds very typical for the fibrocystic changes. This condition very frequently leads to scares for breast cancer. The coloration change sounds less typical but not diagnostic for cancer either. You should call your PCP for an early evaluation of the breasts. This is likely to be due to the fibrocystic changes but we all have to be careful in this evaluation.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD