Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have had off and on pain around my right eye, temple, and

I have had off and on pain around my right eye, temple, and cheek for a couple of months. Sometimes the pain is severe, but mostly it is just a stabbing pain in and around my eye that goes away with ibuprofen. Before this pain starts (and sometimes just randomly), the right side of my face will flush for no reason while the left side remains normal. When flushed, veins in the temple and forehead area near my right eye become more visible.
The skin on the right side of my face has also changed - it is puffy, oiler, and seems thicker than the skin on the left side. The pores are also larger than on the left side and the skin feels warmer (almost feverish when flushed). It almost feels as if there is increased blood flow to the right side of my face.

I have pernicious anemia treated with monthly B-12 injections, but am otherwise a healthy 24 year old female that is active and physically fit.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Headaches with this unilateral distribution may need further investigation by your docotr or possibly a neurologist. These may be cluster headaches as one possibility. This is a vascular type of headache but distinct to a migraine type.A type of inflammatory disoder of arteries ; namely temporal arteritis might also need to be ruled out.

Anthony Bray MD :

Cluster headaches are usually severe and one sided. These may also be associated with tearing of the affected side.

Anthony Bray MD :

Temporal arteritis might might cause headaches and can affect either side but may be more involved on one side. Checking blood inflammatory markers>>C-reactive protein and sed rate would tend to be very elevated if this were the cause.

Anthony Bray MD :

Either of these would require specific treatment strategies.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

I hope this information is helpful for you. If you have further questions then i will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would cluster headaches or temporal arteritis cause the skin changes?

Hello again,

No I would not expect skin changes with these except part of what you describe sounds like some flushing and this might occur with cluster type headaches.The flushing and more prominent appearance of the veins would correspond with increased blood flow to the skin.These I think fit more with possible cluster type headaches. The sense that you feel one side is oily and has thicker skin is an atypical symptom which does not fit neatly into any of the common headache categories.

I hope this helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice