Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

In Feb. I was in the hospital for a kidney stone which I passed.

Customer Question

In Feb. I was in the hospital for a kidney stone which I passed. A couple weeks later I was still having symptoms so they put me on an antibiotic. While I was there they did blood tests which showed I was anemic. It also showed my Neutrophil count normal within 67 at the time, my lymphocytes were low at 22. A month later I went back for repeat blood tests this time my neutrophil count was high 79 & my lymphocytes were worse 15. What could have made the drastic change? I didn't even see my DR. for the results it was a PA that went over them. I wasn't worried at the time, but I have read many scary things online like cancer leukemia. My WBC was 8.2 & 8.8 in the 2 months. my RBC went from 3.85 to normal within 4.44 in March. My platelets were within both months 246 & 268.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to and thanks for your question .
Well A high neutrophil count can be due to many things including kidney problems, stress, hemolytic anemia, polycythemia vera, cancer , and certain medications.
A low lymphocyte count can be due to many things including aplastic anemia, steroid use,,etc name a few ..
This is a general test, so further evaluation would need to be done to determine the exact cause.
The neutrophils would be affected if there was a kidney infection, but most likely not the other tests.

As per your history(kidney infection and anemia ) so high neutrophil count can be caused due to kidney infection and low lymphocyte count can be caused due to anemia .
So you need to be seen by your doctor and a clinical correlation should be done for further evaluation and management .
In the meantime you should drink plenty of water and cranberry juice.
Take Vitamin C rich and iron supplement .
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I go back in Sept for a follow up for blood tests the PA said my blood tests were nothing to worry about. I am under high levels of stress day in day out, as I take care of someone seriously ill so the neutriophil & lympocyte counts can reflect stress? When I was having my blood drawn I was in a good mood laughing, because I knew the lab tech, so would it still show stress in my blood?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.

Well stress can be a contributing factor in your case.

However underlying kidney infection and anemia should also be ruled out in your case.

I hope this helps.