CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I am posing this question on behalf of my 16 year old daughter.

I am posing this question on behalf of my 16 year old daughter. She plays soccer, basketball, and lacrosse. Last year, she started complaining that during practices and games her legs felt drained and heavy. She said that it was different than the usual fatigue and unlike anything she has felt before. This feeling did not improve over the course of the season. Her pediatrician ran some blood tests but couldn't find any obvious problem. She was out of action for over 8 months as a result of foot surgery. When she resumed activity this summer, her complaints about this feeling resumed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today.

CamilleRN :

Anxiety as well as excitement can cause this feeling... does she have symptoms of anxiety such as nervousness? Anxiety can lead to hyperventilation which can lead to less blood flow to extremities causing weakness , heaviness and numbness.

JACUSTOMER-iym9p40t- :

While not specifically mentioning anxiety, my wife has asked our daughter whether she is getting tense. She says no. She doesn't seem to be hyperventilating, at least the way one thinks about hyperventilating.

CamilleRN :

When this is actually occurring have you noticed if she seems to be tense?

CamilleRN :

In the absence of abnormal findings.. anxiety is a possibility.

JACUSTOMER-iym9p40t- :

She does seem tense. We will explore this avenue. Thanks for your help. I will accept your answer.