Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

) score of 410 if my HDL is 94, LDL is 16, triglyc is 79..blood

Should I be worried about a lipoprotein(a) score of 410 if my HDL is 94, LDL is 16, triglyc is 79 and total cholesterol is 224? One doctor told me the "good" HDL counteracts it, but another said I should be treated for it. My weight and blood pressure are normal.
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any other heart risks?
Like high blood pressure?
Smoking?
Family history of early age before 50 deaths from cardiac events?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No high blood pressure. no smoking. father died of heart disease/emphesema at age 78. Mother was told she had high cholesterol--died at 82. Both parents smoked.
Thanks for the additional information.

As you probably already know less than 30 is the desired range. However, you have to look at the overall picture.

Research has shown us that although elevated levels of Lp(a) are connected to heart disease, lowering that level has not been proven to lower the risk of events. OF course it is more important if the LDL level is increased as well.

Many providers are still going by the risk factors of hypertension, high cholesterol, smoking, obesity and family history as their guide.

SO... it appears that you have a family history of heart disease but a very good lipid panel but very high Lp(a). This is a decision that you will really need to discuss throughly with your provider and either way (to treat or not to treat) would be acceptable by what we yet know today thru research.

I know that does not clear up your question but the research so far has not shown to decrease the events with treatment. Usually niacin is used and can have some unpleasant side effects.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What are side effects of niacin?
Itching skin and like hot flashes. IT can be minimized if you take aspirin 1/2 hour before the med.
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.