Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

I am a 75 year old male with heart disease medically controlled

I am a 75 year old male with heart disease medically controlled for 20 years. I have also suffered from prostrate enlargement, but, thanks to an excellent urologist, this is no longer a problem. For the past 5 years, I have a much younger girl friend. We had a good sex life, however, my ability to get and maintain an erection has gradually diminished over the past three years to the point where recently I could not get an erection at all. Is there any over-the-counter herbal remedy available for me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

Did you have any success with the Viagra? What happened when you took it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried Viagra many years ago and, although it did enhance my erection, it felt unnatural and was ultimately unsatisfying for both me and my partner.

Thanks so much for the additional information.

I have done a thorough search and cannot find any really safe remedies. Since these herbs affect the blood vessels they can cause safe rise or lower of the blood pressure. And herbs do not have to be regulated so you are taking a risk of getting any kind of a dose from each tablet.

The ones that don't effect the blood vessels like ginko biloba are said to be effective mainly due to the depression or psychological effects of ED. I don't think that is what is the issue in your case.

Therefore I would really encourage you to talk again with your provider about other things either medication - like Cialis or Levetria of which many men try them out and see which one "feels" right for them. Or even consider vacuums, pumps or implants.

I am glad you are seeking advice about the herbal products as some can be very good but others dangerous.