Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

Im a 41 yr old type 1 diabetic with a VSD heart condition

I'm a 41 yr old type 1 diabetic with a VSD heart condition. I have several experienced physicians on my health team, however it would take too long to get an appt. and my co-pays are very expensive. Besides my health conditions, I am in excellent physical condition. I have been experiencing severe abdominal pain in my lower and middle stomach areas. The pain gets extremely worse after I eat solid foods. I can digest liquid foods such as soup, applesauce, and ice cream and etc. In addition to the pain I feel full under my breast bone area. All of this accompanied by nausea. I'm not sure if this is a complication of my diabetes or if this is a woman symptom? Do you have any ideas what I could be experiencing and any over the counter rememdies? I've tried antacids and they haven't been successful, they make the flatulence worse. I've applied heat and that seems to work for a short time. I would appreciate your suggestions.
Susan
Chat Conversation Started
Celeste NP :

Hello

Celeste NP :

So sorry for your discomfort.

Celeste NP :

What are your bowel patterns like?

Celeste NP :

Do you have trouble swallowing solid food?

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

At this time not good. Not regular. I had three movements the first day of this episode and nothing since then.

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

No trouble swallowing food.

Celeste NP :

I am really concerned that you may have a bowel blockage.

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

Ok what does that mean?

Celeste NP :

It could be twisted or telescoped into itself. You really would need to seek care and without delay

Celeste NP :

Do you have a fever?

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

Do you think it could be my gallbladder? I do not have a fever.

Celeste NP :

Possibility but the pain area is wrong.

Celeste NP :

The pain would be in the upper right to mid upper abdominal area

Celeste NP :

Also gall stones typically don't mess with the bowels like you are describing. They can some but not to an extreme.

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

Ok what about woman problems? Some of the pain radiates around the ovaries? I had a endo ablation 9 years ago.

Celeste NP :

That is why I am thinking bowel problems.

Celeste NP :

But

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

ok Let's go back to the bowel blockage, what will the doctor do to check it?

Celeste NP :

Uterus intact?

Celeste NP :

Periods normal?

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

Yes, just had recent gyn appt and all was good.

Celeste NP :

HA! We are typing over each other.

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

Haven't had a period in 9 years due to endo ablation.

Celeste NP :

Usually if if is female organs again does not effect eating or bowel movements

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

Ok, any ideas for comfort until I get into the doctor?

Celeste NP :

A possibility that adhesions which is scar tissue that can form from surgeries can block the bowel down and cause extreme pain.

Celeste NP :

But an ablation is on the inside of the uterus so adhesions are less likely unless you have had other surgeries.

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

I haven't had any surgeries except for the Nova Sure? Any other ideas what would cause the bowel obstruction?

Celeste NP :

Seriously, you really do need to seek care in the next few hours no more than 24 hours you can afford for you bowel to become "dead" or gangrenous.

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

Any ideas for comfort until I get to the doctor?

Celeste NP :

IF you do have a blockage they will check it out by a CT scan, abdominal x-rays and usually immediate surgery to save the bowel.

Celeste NP :

IT really can be serious.

Celeste NP :

What type of pain meds do you have?

Celeste NP :

You don't really want to mask the pain thinking that it is going away and really it is not. ALso narcotic pain meds can slow down the bowel even more.

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

The only pain meds that I can take are Tylenol. I'm allergic to everything.

Celeste NP :

I wish I had a great answer for you but I am afraid that normal ibuprofen or tylenol is not going to help. You have already tried heating pads.

Celeste NP :

Laxatives are strongly contraindicated if you have a possibility of bowel blockage. So don't try that.

Celeste NP :

How long again has this been going on?

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

Yes, however we I had liquids I didn't have any pain. Is that normal for bowel blockage?

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

Three days

Celeste NP :

It can be if it is a partial blockage or diverticulitis, which is an inflammation of the bowel. Sorry but we are really stuck with the bowel being the issue...

Celeste NP :

I am sorry diverticulitis is an infection and inflammation of the bowel.

Celeste NP :

Usually diverticultits is on the left lower abdomen but improves with clear liquids. But you still can have bowel movements.

Celeste NP :

I would really encourage you not to wait the weekend to be seen.

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

The left side is where the most severe pain radiates.

Celeste NP :

Than that is a possibility as well. Were your stools pebbly like prior to the pain?

Celeste NP :

A CT would diagnosis that also.

Celeste NP :

My concern for you is you are also a diabetic and I am sure you already know the risks of altered intake for several days.

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

No 2 were very loose stools and the other normal. But they were the same day all within 10 minutes of each other. I've had these episodes before where I don't go for a few days at a time if I am off my exercise regimen. However, I can have days where I go up to 6 times within a few hours with severe pain.

Celeste NP :

Other than general Irritable bowel symptoms, though I would still be checked out this weekend. You really need a work up on this. I hope that you can go to the ER without too much trouble. I know that no one wants to do that but I strongly encourage you to do so.

Celeste NP :

Then at least you would know what is safe to be treated with!

JACUSTOMER-noojyr0w- :

Thank you for your help, and have a great weekend!

Celeste NP :

They can give you medication to help with pain.

Celeste NP :

You too if you can! God BLess!