Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Bruise on the inside of left arm. What could it be?

I have a red / brown bruise on the inside of my left arm right in between my arm pit and my elbow. The bruise is larger than a half dollar coin, and has been there for about a week now without any signs of going away. I don't know how I got the bruise (didn't fall or injure myself) and it doesn't hurt at all - even when I push on it. It just looks creepy. I am not an easy bruiser either... Any ideas?

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello! Most of the time such mysterious bruises are from injuries where the pain at the time was not so much that it registered to you as a significant event. We see this very frequently where people have bruises yet do not remember a specific corresponding injury. If we bump our shin into the coffee table we may not specifically remember this event any more than turning out the lights when we leave a room. Antoher possibility for your bruise other than injury would be that you may have had a small blood vessel rupture. If not swollen or painful then it sounds benign in nature. You should see a gradual progression of color change as the bruise gradually is resorbed

JACUSTOMER-t3xm4no8- :

How long does a bruise normally take to go away? (It looks disgusting right now) I guess the good thing is that it is covered by my shirt sleeves..

Anthony Bray MD :

Usually about ten days but this can vary some depending on the size...

JACUSTOMER-t3xm4no8- :

OK, so it's not a sign of anything worse, etc. ?

Anthony Bray MD :

A large collection of blood in the tissue gives a symptom of bulk under the skin. This is a more involved hematoma. If you had this then you would expect it to be raised, and tender. It would also feel warm to the touch..

JACUSTOMER-t3xm4no8- :

Yes, this is not raised at all, no warmth, and not tender at all. It feels absolutely fine, just looks aweful...

Anthony Bray MD :

I would not worry too much about it looking bad.This will resolve. You should be fine to keep watch on this. It is reassuring that you don't have other signs that I mentioned.

JACUSTOMER-t3xm4no8- :

OK, thank you very much!

Anthony Bray MD :

You are welcome!