Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I am an occasional smokeless tobacco user. I need to pass a

I am an occasional smokeless tobacco user. I need to pass a blood test as a non-nicotine user. How long should I be off the snuff before I take the blood test?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Nurse Milli :

Hi there and thanks for the question. I will be happy to help.

Nurse Milli :

This question is always interesting. Nicotine will only stay in your bloodstream for about 72-96 hours (unless you are in areas where people smoke, such as bars, etc and in this case it could take longer).

If you are wanting to get rid of nicotine faster than 72-96 hours, there is no way to do this. There are many 'nicotine cleansers' on the market, but they are scams. Your body has to do all the work in order to remove the chemical and this takes time. Also, the amount of time you have smoked, amount of nicotine taken in per day all will play a role in the adjustment of the 72-96 hours as this is an estimate. Drinking plenty of water will help, but is not a cure.

Nurse Milli :

(should have said, the amount of time you have smoked or used snuff)

Nurse Milli :

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer :

I have a blood test scheduled in 20 days from today. With me being a nicotine user approx. 4-5 days a week you think I should be able to pass the test as non nicotine?

Nurse Milli :

Yes, as long as you do not use any more nicotine-containing products.

Customer :

OK thank you.