Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

My husband has really bad aggressive problems and mood swings.

My husband has really bad aggressive problems and mood swings. He is 21 years old. He struggels with erection problems, and he also has a very low libido if I compare him with other men of his age and I know it has nothing to do with me. He will experience muscles pains after a very little bit of exercise. He smokes. Also he has trouble with wounds to heal, and if it does it leaves really ugly scars. I don't know where to start looking for the problem. I've seen something on the internet about diabetes and can relate to it with some of his problems. I am not sure if it is diabetes or a mental problem, but the agression is a problem and we need to treat it as soon as possible.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Is your husband overweight?
Does he have a family history of mental illness (such as bipolar disease or depression) or diabetes?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, well no he is not overweight. I don't know of anyone in his family with a bipolar disease. I do know that his mother also struggles with her sugar, but unlike my husband she eats too much chocolates and sweets and gets light headed. There is a history in his family of agression problems
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

I am sorry that both of you are going through this.

While diabetes could be an issue in your husband, aggression is not usually a symptom.
If he is overly thirsty, urinating frequently and has an increased appetite, this would point in the direction of diabetes.

Mood swings, especially if you note that he has highs (where he has elated mood or does destructive things such as gambling, goes on spending sprees, gets in fights) and then lows (depression) are signs of bipolar disease (also known as manic depression).

Low libido can be a result of mental illness.

Drug abuse, if there is any question at all, is also a cause of aggression.

What I would do is start with a general health physical with his primary care doctor.
He needs to have routine blood work done (blood sugar, thyroid, complete blood count, electrolytes, calcium) to make sure that he does not have an underlying medical condition that is causing his symptoms.

If all is normal, I would consider a psychiatric evaluation if he is agreeable.
I am sure that it is miserable for him to be feeling this way as well.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States