Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

clear anal discharge with a fishy/ammonia odor, but no pain.

clear anal discharge with a fishy/ammonia odor, but no pain. Began happening after eating one 4 oz +(-) cup of Activia which made me feel as if I had to "go" #2 all the time. What's causing the fish odor?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question

DR HASAN :

Since how long you have this

Customer:

3-4 months

DR HASAN :

Are you taking any supplements

Customer:

Following I've taken daily for years: 500 mg Vit.C; 1000 mg green tea extract; 250 iu DHA; Centrum Silver; 600 mg calcium + 500 Vit.D; 4 stool softeners; 182 mg aspirin

DR HASAN :

Do you any diarrhea or constipation, blood in stools, etc

DR HASAN :

any bloatment, gas, weight loss

DR HASAN :

diabetes

Customer:

After eating the one 4 oz cup of Activia yogurt w/ probiotics, I had diarrhea & pressure on and off for at least 2 months (never experienced anything like it before or since). Since I have internal hemrhoids there was blood, but not always. I also started having a mucous secretion with the fishy odor which is always present.

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your input based on your history the reason which can be the cause of your symptoms can be giardiasis, Bacterial overgrowth in stools, effects of the supplements(less likely because you are taking them for so long), lactose intolerance etc

DR HASAN :

But they are just suggestions because final diagnosis can be made only with investigations.

DR HASAN :

Hope you have got a stool culture done also

Customer:

I did increase the supplements by taking 2 DHA pills, then a GNC triple strength fish oil pill (with EPA & DHA) for awhile in that time period, but quit a couple of months ago thinking that was causing the odor

DR HASAN :

Might be but we cannot be sure without investigations

DR HASAN :

I think you have to wait for them but seems there is nothing serious

DR HASAN :

Do you want to ask anything else

DR HASAN :

Hope you have stopped using the supplements now

Customer:

in answer to earlier question...no, don't have diabetes or weight loss (nothing else abnormal except the anal discharge & odor not). Am I the only one to have that reaction to Activia?

DR HASAN :

Thanks for the reply

DR HASAN :

We cannot be sure that it was due to Activia, because usually it doesnot cause this

DR HASAN :

Colonoscopy you are going to have will be helpful in detecting some cause as they will directly see the intestines

Customer:

I did not have the discharge before Activia...maybe a bad batch of probiotics?

DR HASAN :

Well i donot think so because it may be coincidence to have it after activia because usually fishy odor is not seen after that and if you have left it the smell should have gone by now

Customer:

Well, thanks for your input. I will research giardiasis. Have a nice life!

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome

DR HASAN :

I wish you good health

DR HASAN :

Click ACCEPT if you are satisfied

DR HASAN :

Regards