Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

What does a creatinine level of 1.41 and eGFR of 38 mean, and

What does a creatinine level of 1.41 and eGFR of 38 mean, and can these numbers be a result of taking the recalled colonoscopy prepartion products (test was in 1998 and have had these types of numbers since then)?

While your creatinine is not significantly raised, though eGFR of 38; indicate moderate kidney disease. Since your eGFR is almost static for 12 years; and is not deteriorating with time, this is an encouraging indication. A recalled colonoscopy product may have been responsible for the kidney damage, if this eGFR appeared immediately after taking it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I just located test results from April of 2009, and the numbers were different...creatinine was 1.20 and eGFR was 46. Should I be concerned with the difference in numbers from last year?

You are very welcome.

This change of number is XXXXX as very marginal and is not alarming or concerning. This only needs an yearly or 6 monthly follow up by a nephrologist. If you have high blood pressure or diabetes, that should be treated meticulously. Some physician may like to restrict or stop read meat in the diet.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. I have been doing these tests yearly, and my high blood pressure is being treated since 1997. You have eased my mind. Again, I thank you very much.

You are most welcome.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun