Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

How do you treat a pinched nerve of the right arm

How do you treat a pinched nerve of the right arm?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Could you please tell me what your symptoms are? Where were you told you have a pinched nerve?

Thanks,

Julia

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tend to have limited moter functions it's like my mind says move this way and my hand just doesn't move

Is it only affecting your hand? Does your hand fall asleep (numbness/tingling sensation)? Do you have any numbness/tingling going down your arm or forearm? Any pain in your shoulder or neck?

How long have you been having these symptoms for?

Also, were you told where the pinched nerve is? It can be in several different locations and treatment will depend on where its at.

I am sorry for so many questions, I am just trying to get a better picture of what's going on so that I can assist you better.

Thanks again,

Julia

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I used to have some tingling numbness in my hand but now it's just lack of certon responses to particular functions I wish to perform. It's been like this for several months now and it affects my work and recreation i.e. softball.

Thank you for your reply,

The first thing that you need to do is to get an exact diagnosis as to where your nerve is pinched - pinched nerve can occur at the level of your neck, at the level of your shoulder, at the level of your elbow and in your wrist. Treatment, although similar, really depends on where the nerve is pinched. To get an accurate diagnosis, you might need to have a test called EMG (Electromyography) which will differentiate between which nerve is being affected.

Treatment usually requires you to ice the area where the pinching has occured (ice is a great anti-inflammatory), Aleve or Advil are also used to decrease inflammation and since your daily function is being significantly affected, you might need a course of physical therapy. If symptoms are still not going away, you might need to see an orthopedic doctor to get a cortisone injection into the joint where the nerve is being pinched. Cortisone is a steroid which also acts as an anti-inflammatory.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please fee free to follow-up with any other questions you might have. I will be happy to assist you further.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click 'Accept' button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get compensated for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where do I get an EMG?

You would need to get a referral by your primary care doctor to either a neurologist (usually done in the office setting) or a pain management specialist.

It is also better to see a neurologist for a pinched nerve anyway as this is the area of their expertise and they might be able to advise you better on the treatment options.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss