Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

The bridge of my nose is red and swollen. I have no idea what

The bridge of my nose is red and swollen. I have no idea what happened? I did go to Urgent Care last night, he looked inside the nose, and said it looked good. I do have some drainage down back of throat, no fever, but what is wrong with my nose? He said sinus, and put me on a Z-Pak. I am worried about this. If I bend over, the pressure I feel is painful, at this point I have no fever. Please help. I do have TMJ, I wear a bit splint, and stress this week, has been horrid. I do need dental work done, but no teeth hurt.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I am an EAR, NOSE & THROAT doctor and can help you.

Since how long you have these symptoms?

Do you have symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, Flu, ear ache or blockade?

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am breathing out of both sides of nose. A few days ago, when I blew my nose, it smelled funny inside of nose, if that makes sense. That is the only thing I can think of.
The only other symptom is some drainage down throat.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply & sorry for the delay.

This feels as if you are having sinus problem because the drainage down the throat is the result of the secretions forming in the throat to trickle down the throat. Having some dental disease predispose to the this problem as the root of the teeth are lying in the sinus floor. The fluid accumulate in the sinus and this gives a pressure feeling in the head specially on bending, this is a classical symptom of sinus problem. The red swollen nose can be due to two reasons either part of allergic problem which cause sinus drainage or a separate skin disorder. You can take the OTC Tab Citrizine once daily along with xylometazoline nasal spray thrice daily along with steam inhalation with menthol. You can also take Tab Ibuprofen thrice daily & can apply OTC 1 % hydrocortisone cream on nose, If the symptoms start getting better you can continue but if the worsen or donot get better, visit your ENT doctor and he will be in a position to decide about dermatologist consultation.

I hope this helps you.

REGARDS

DR HASAN

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The medicatons you speak of, I have not heard of, I am limited on my income. The Doctor last night, put me on a Z-Pak or Zithromax, will that take care of this matter? I am a bit worried about this, it came on so sudden.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

All these are available over the counter.

Xylometazoline nasal spray decongest the openings of the sinuses to drain the fluid easily.

Tab Citrizine is anti allergic

Tab Ibuprofen is pain killer and anti inflammatory

! % hydrocortisone is steroid cream and acts as anti inflammatory to reduce swelling of nose and its redness.

You can get them from pharmacy, i have not mentioned brand names, i have only mentioned generic names thats why you have not heard about it.

Only antibiotics might not help you. It came on sudden but you have visited a doctor so far so you should keep on monitoring it, if swelling keep increasing visit doctor or ER again.

Regards

Good Luck

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery