Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

Tell me about parathyroid diseas.

Tell me about parathyroid diseas.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

First, know that your parathyroid gland is responsible for calcium regulation and if you have parathyroid disease, your calcium level could be a direct result from this. To help rule out tumors of the parathyroid gland you look at the calcium level and the parathyroid hormone level. If the calcium level is very high and the PTH is very high, this is indicitive of parathyroid tumor. 8.5 - 10.2 is the normal range for serum calcium, so yours is indeed abnormal but not 'off the charts'-so to speak. I would wait and see what the results of the PTH is and go from there. I'm sure your Dr can shed some additional insight when he/she gets the lab information that is lacking here.

Edited by Nurse Milli on 8/2/2010 at 4:03 AM EST