Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I was pushed and fell. My forearm is bruised, painful, swollen

I was pushed and fell. My forearm is bruised, painful, swollen and tender. The pain radiates to my wrist and my shoulder. Visually, it looks as though something is out of place.

Do I need to see a doctor? It is Sunday evening, so I'll probably need to go to the emergency room.

Hi there and thanks for the question.

Pain is your guide here as far as urgency. If you are having trouble moving the arm, or if the pain is over your threshold that you can tolerate, then yes, you should go ahead and be seen in the ER. You might be seeing swelling that is making something look 'out of place' but you could also be seeing a bone that is misplaced also. With a fracture that requires surgery (open reduction internal fixation), you should be seen tonight. Again, pain will guide you to seek treatment. Just from your symptoms you have listed, however, it does seem as though you need medical attention this evening.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The spot that I fell on is now looking red and lumpy. What is it?
Hi there, without examination and possible xrays, there is no way to know what the lumps are at this point.