Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I had a wart frozen last Thursday. Ive never even had a wart

Customer Question

I had a wart frozen last Thursday. I've never even had a wart before, so I didn't know what to expect. One is on the underside of my chin, the other on the side of my left ankle. Both areas have turned dark and become blistered. The blister on my chin popped and is leaking fluid. Will this fluid spread warts to others? Do I need to cover it? My dermatologist simply told me to wash the area with soap and water and coat with vaseline if needed. She did not mention blisters or fluid, but did say not to pick at them as they were contagious. I did not pick at this one, it tore open when being washed.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.

Hello!

It sounds that the wart simply blistered following the freezing. This is just the body's reaction to the freeze injury. It should settle down with time. The freeze treatment is intended to kill the virus infected cells which cause the warts in the first place. Sometimes it takes more than one treatment though. The fluid may have some infectious potential but I suspect much less than what you fear. (The fluid from the blister will not likely cause multiple warts on you or likely spread the warts to the members of your family.) You might try adding some betadine to the blistered areas.(use this sparingly however as too much may delay healing). A little betadine will probably help to slow the clear fluid and protect from infection.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD