Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I am 57 male. I am under a great deal of stress in my life

I am 57 male. I am under a great deal of stress in my life at this moment. more than I have ever been under. I am not handling it well.

I have gone from 205l lbs to 173 lbs in just a matter of weeks. I can't eat, I try to now, but just get sick feeling after. I don't think I can get it together by myself.

I know if I don't eat I could die.
What will happen to me if I stay on this path.
What are the warning signs or simptoms I should be aware of.

I went to my dr. the other day, told him what was happening, he gave me some meds.
They make me feel bad. I know that this is in my head but I can't control it.
I feel like I am just going to not eat and die.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for the question. I will be happy to help you today.

Stress can certainly affect all body systems. To directly answer your question, you have actually already seen some of the warning signs of staying on the path of not eating and that is significant weight loss. Some other things you may not notice right now but with this type of weight loss in this amount of time, you are probably experiencing wasting (muscle wasting) as well as depriving yourself of nutrients. My main question is your sick feeling after you eat coming from a problem with your stomach itself (like Gallbladder) or other medical problem or if this is directly related to a state of mind you are in. Sometimes, it is actually a medical problem and if that is the case, this could be fixed if the right tests are run and treatment is begun. If this is truly a psychological issue related to a major life stressor, you may end up needing psychotherapy to help you get past this. Either way, you need to get this under control as soon as possible. Since the medications are not helping and are making you feel badly, please return and let the Dr know that these meds are not working so that your meds can be changed and possibly other treatment initiated.

Kidney function can be affected not to mention the stress/strain this is putting on your other organs (heart included) by this type of weight loss.