Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

My 22 year old son has been experiencing symptoms of mono for

My 22 year old son has been experiencing symptoms of mono for the past year and a half - ever since he was diagnosed. He has chronic fatigue, 'brain fog', headaches and sensitivity to light. While he sometimes experiences a week or two of no symptoms, they come back. He has had many blood tests, an MRI and an EEG with no results indicating a cause. He has been tested for gluten intolerance and taken numerous vitamins and supplements to no avail. Does anyone have any advice? His life has been completely changed. He is no loner the athletic, energetic person he once was. He lives under a cloud and is depressed.
Submitted: 6 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 6 years ago.
I would like to help but require some additional information.

1. What blood tests were done and what were the results?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There was a wide variety of blood work done- sorry I don't have all the details. One test (that has since been repeated) showed a low testosterone level but that has since come back normal. There were some inidications of thyroid and Vitamin D deficeincy but our primary care doctor dismissed these as irrelevant.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

It should be noted that thyroid dysfunction as well as vitamin deficiency can contribute to the signs and symptoms your son is experiencing.

Other possibilities include a splenic problem, anemia, and/or possible autoimmune disorders.

I recommend that if not already done so he have a CT/ultrasound of his spleen to assess for splenic function and possible hemolytic anemia. He should also have blood work done to test for autoimmune disorders such as lupus, these tests include an ANA level, Anti-smith antibodies, anti-dsDNa antibodies, RF, CRP, ESR.

Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Singh - All sounds like good advice and we can relay to our Primary Care physician who is an infectious disease specialist. The larger question is whether or not this is the type of malady that will never go away? My son is despairing of ever feeling good again - not an outlook for a 22 year old recent college grad and former athlete. Any thoughts on whether these type of symptoms are chronic and without a cure?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 6 years ago.
It all depends on what he is diagnosed to have. Autoimmune disorders are life long however with proper medical care and treatment he will start feeling well again. If the problem is anemia due to spleen, this too will require medications life long but again he will have a better quality of life with treatment.

Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just what is proper medical care and treatment for an autoimmune disorder?

Thanks,
HT
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 6 years ago.
It requires regular follow-up with a rheumatologist, regular blood work, and medications with usually include some sort of steroid, pain relief medications and others such as plaquenil, methotrexate, etc. depending on the exact autoimmune disorder.

Regards.