A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

i have pain at the top of my abdomen where trachea and stomach

i have pain at the top of my abdomen where trachea and stomach meet it first started 9 days ago and went away it came back doctor increased my dose of lipitor from 20 mgs to 40 mgs and i seem to feel tension in my chest along with this pain which is not severe .could this be the result of the increased dosage
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The trachea is part of the respiratory system. It goes to the lungs and never connects to the stomach. the esophagus, which is located just behind the trachea is the tube that goes from the throat through the diaphragm to the stomach. Pain in that area is generally caused by reflux of stomach acid into the esophagus. Antacids, and acid-reducers like ranitidine, Prilosec, etc. can help relieve this pain. It is unlikely that the change in your cholesterol drug would cause this.