Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

my wife is having trouble breathing-we moved to 8000 ft about

my wife is having trouble breathing-we moved to 8000 ft about a month back-how long before she adjusts??
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Does she smoke?
Does she have Asthma?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no and no
Where do you live that it is 8000 ft - approximately, just curious?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks -
What is her height and weight?
Does she have any heart condition?
Does she even bleed any more (periods - unlikely, but checking)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
5'3" 130 lbs-no heart problems-no periods
It sounds like your wife is in good condition - and adjusting to high altitude living can be problematic for some people and in fact this is a problem with astronauts too - hence why we put them in high altitude chambers for periods of time (days and weeks) prior to any real space flight (one of my specialties is called AeroSpace Medicine - we are the doctors that take care of pilots and astronauts) - so this can take months for her to get use to it such as months - but usually by 6 months this can help.
So, what to do to help: Albuterol inhalers helps as does supplemental oxygen as needed. Also, think of this - at 18,000 ft, there is half the oxygen available at sea level. AT 8000 feet there is only about 75 to 80 % of the oxygen available at sea level, so the human being takes time to get use to this.