PatriciaRN, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of nursing experience, 2 in ER, 1 at Planned Parenthood clinic

i hit my leg on the inside about 4 inches above the ankle and

i hit my leg on the inside about 4 inches above the ankle and it swelled up for about 5 days then it started to feel numb. it has been almost 2 weeks and i am still alillte numb from where i hit it down to ankle. it is black and blue still. what do you thinkk it may be and what course of action should i take?
Category: Health
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like you had a hematoma, or collection of blood, under the skin of your leg and it is possible that this put pressure on some of the local nerves and muscle tissue, contributing to the numbness.

I feel that you should have had this evaluated earlier by a doctor, but it's not too late to have it evaluated now. You did the right thing by using ice and in all likelihood, much of the hematoma may have dissolved by now. However, your doc can examine the leg and do an ultrasound if needed to see if there is some of it left. Then, if necessary, perhaps a surgical evacuation can be done to remove the rest of the hematoma and restore nerve transmission to the ankle.

I think you should go for an exam ASAP since it's been going on for almost 2 weeks. Don't let this go any longer.

I hope this is helpful to you and please do feel free to ask a follow up question if you have one.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what would happen if this is the case and i cant afford a doctor or ultrasound as you suggest? will this go away on its own over time? will i be able to perform day to day activities?
I cannot tell you for certain without an examination. If the numbness has already improved and the bruising is decreased, and there is no hardness in the area, and this continues to happen, then you are probably going to be okay.

But it would be good if you could perhaps find a local free or low-cost prompt care clinic or similar to have someone take a look at it.

Continue with the same treatment, ice and elevation, and be gentle with the limb for awhile longer...don't do anything too strenuous with it until the bruising is completely gone.

I hope this helps and best of luck.