Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

MY PSA LEVEL DOUBLED IN THE PAST YEAR FROM 2.54 TO 4.86 DESPITE

MY PSA LEVEL DOUBLED IN THE PAST YEAR FROM 2.54 TO 4.86 DESPITE TAKING PROPECIA DAILY FOR THE PAST DECADE. ALSO, MY %FREE PSA WAS 9. MY DRE LAST YEAR WAS INTERPRETED AS NORMAL. I KNOW I WILL REQUIRE AN UPDATED DRE. WHAT IS THE LIKELIHOOD THAT A BIOPSY WILL BE RECOMMENDED AND WITH THIS LOW % FREE PSA, DO YOU EVER ENCOUNTER PROSTATE CANCER - FREE MEN WITH A SIMILAR CLINICAL PRESENTATION. I'M NERVOUS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.

Hello!

The PSA > 4.0 will prompt a DRE (you are right about this) and a follow up PSA likely within the next 6 months. This level of PSA could be due to BPH more commonly than prostate cancer but prostate cancer does begin to become a concern. I've seen such levels return to more normal levels on follow up at times but I've also seen cases such as yours later be confirmed as prostate cancer. You will likely have at least one follow up PSA level and a DRE before the decision is made to biopsy. The decision to biopsy would depend on these next results both of the DRE and repeat PSA. A continued rise in the PSA would probably prompt the recommendation to biopsy.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD