A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

how would i know if my dad has severe retention

Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. If he cannot void, he has severe urinary retention and needs to be catheterized.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what u mean if he cant void. and worried As Dad Has Postrate Cancer And He Has Early Stages . i Am Worried That If He Gets His Postrate Taking Out Then He Could Die Under The Greanel Ansearta So So Worried And Scared. And Would You Know How Long Does It Take Doctors To Get A Postate Out.

I mean if he cannot pee (void is the polite word), then he has urinary retention.

The risk of not having surgery is probably greater than the risk of anesthesia. Only his treating doctors can evaluate his respiratory status and determine if he is a candidate for a respiratory anesthesia or spinal anesthesia.

Prostate surgery takes as long as it takes. It depends on the patient, the surgeon, and what type of surgery (open, laparoscopic, robot-assisted) kind and approach of surgery is chosen by the surgeon.