A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have had months with no menstration and had months of heavy

I have had months with no menstration and had months of heavy bleeding. I am 47 and had a tubal ligation ten years ago when I had my fifth child. My Doctor has had me get a sonagram of my stomach and a vaginal sonagram. The only thing they found was that I have thicker uterus lining? I have now been refered to a surgeon? I need to know what my opptions are what next?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Generally all that is done for an overgrown uterine lining is a simple dilation and curettage (D & C). It is an outpatient procedure. If there are fibroids there are several different ways to remove them, but you didn't mention having fibroids.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have fibroids and I just had a pap test that was good. Does a D&C have side effects?

It is a simple outpatient procedure in which you are in the hospital or outpatient center for just a few hours. You wear a sanitary napkin home, and may bleed (less than a period) for a few days afterward. Sexual relations and use of tampons can be resumed in about a month. Your periods will resume on their own schedule but will be a great deal lighter than usual.