Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Mt daughter had left a tampon in essentially lost. She has

Mt daughter had left a tampon in essentially lost. She has removed it. These events took place last week, she has just ended mentrating but feels like it is "achy" down there. What should I recommend she do?

Is she having any vaginal discharge or odor?
Fever? Rash?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There was a odor for a short period of time but it appears to be a normal end of mentration period flow.
Thank you for the additional information,

There are a few problems that can arise from a retained tampon.
First, and very rare, is toxic shock syndrome. If it has been several days since the tampon was removed, she likely would have been ill by now if she was going to develop this syndrome. Symptoms of this include high fever, low blood pressure (causing dizziness), rash and vomiting.

More commonly, benign vaginal infections can develop. If she feels discomfort, discharge or odor, I would have her doctor do a vaginal exam and swabs. An antibiotic can easily take care of the infection if she has one.

I would advise her not to douche at this point as this can change the balance of the normal bacteria in the vagina and increase the risk of infection.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!