Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

A 35 year old with AIDS and a CD4+ cell count of 90/mm3 presents

A 35 year old with AIDS and a CD4+ cell count of 90/mm3 presents to the AIDS clinic complaining of two weeks of dysphagia and odynophagia. She has had no history of opportunistic infections and has been taking trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole and zidovudine. On exam, multiple white patches were noted in the posterior portion of her oropharynx. Culture grew pseudohyphae and budding yeast. The most likely organism is
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

The most likely organism is Candida. Candida is a yeast and causes an infection that is also known as "thrush".

Oropharyngeal candidiasis is one of the most common opportunistic infections in AIDS patients.

Let me know if you need any more information about Candida and I will be happy to discuss with you. Good luck studying.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.